Stitch and prayer

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Lathe Art - How to Start Doing Lathe Art by Creating a Picture with Wood Strips

Years ago, my household enjoyed going to a little concatenation eating house in town called the Ponderosa. It was affordable, and they served solid food. I liked it myself. But the thing that really stayed with me after the repast was over was the graphics they decorated with. The images were made out of thin strips of wood, fixed together to make landscapes, seascapes and scenery. It was so very comfy to look at. Well, the Ponderosa here eventually went out of business, and now there is yet one more than beefburger articulation in town. That do at least six, and this is a little town. Bashes this not look a spot much?

In the old age that have got since gone by, there were a batch of measures to pay, athletics and dances to take the children to, and just apparent things to do. I was busy. What can I say? A piece back, I met a lady. It was not really trim clip that she used in which to paint, but she painted every nighttime after work. She was, and still is grim about it. Painting is of import to her, so she maintains doing it. Eventually, I told her about the fine art work I remembered from the Ponderosa. She must have got held on to the idea, because the adjacent twelvemonth for Christmas, I got a precut kit of a seascape in lathe art.

At that time, it seemed to me that it would take a very talented and artistic type of a individual to make one of these pictures. I had no thought that I was able to make it! Now that lady that I was telling you about, have a work shop. Complete with all the tools. I was a small surprised too. She even knew how to utilize the tools! On our twenty-four hours off in the winter, she would have got a fire going in the wood stove, and work on her undertakings all twenty-four hours out there. She did piece of furniture refinishing and repairs. That was where my lathe fine art undertaking was assembled.

After I set it together, it was easy to see that it would not be difficult to continue, and make my ain alone piece. All that was needed was a level background to gum the wood strips to, and of coarse the wooden strips of wood. Where the borders needed to be formed for the strips, was an easy cut out on her set saw. All it took to acquire me going was a piece of 3/8" plywood, about 2' broad by 16" tall, and a two ft long 2"x4" that I ripped into 1/4" stats on the tabular array saw.

I then drew a very simple image to get with on the plywood. It was an old redness barn, with hills in the background. Almost like some of the common people fine art paintings. Just totally simple. The wood strips were placed on the plyboard to be marked for each of the cuts. After all of the cuts were made to the wood strips, I assembled them, and glued them in topographic point on the plywood. And voila! So easy to paint when all of the borders are already there for you! To maintain the subject of the image simple, I bordered it with consecutive cut and thinner strips, then framed it by cutting right angles on the end of 2" broad strips of wood, a small thicker than the splines that made up the picture.

The lady believes that the piece is beautiful. It now hangs in our life room. Now I inquire myself why I ever waited so long to seek it. It's level a small easier to look forward to cold wintertime days!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home